Saturday, June 20, 2009

Welcome to Rome

The point of this blog for me to work out my beliefs and feelings about being a Rabbi. I like to use this space to write on the issues which trouble me in a more professional arena. This weekend in Rome is pure vacation so I am hesitant to write much about my journey.

But then again, this is so fun, it is lovely to share with everyone who reads.

Here are the highlights. I got in Friday morning at 5 and found my way to the hotel. Sadly, the shuttle which my parents were wonderful enough to arrange for me, did not show up. And the customer service number failed to work so I had to take a cab to the hotel. (I could have taken a train to a bus to something else....but in the end, decided I was too tired to do all of that.)

The hotel is just fantastic and the location could not be better. I am a 5 minute walk from the old synagogue and just close to everything.

Once I settled in, I hit the road, map in hand, and started walking. I was for the next several hours just wandering the city streets. I saw many wonderful sites and beautiful places. Rome is just stunning. I finally wound my way up to Triofale Square where there is this enormous open market. It is a series of stalls which are color coded (the tops of the stalls are green for veggies, red for meat, blue for fish etc.) There is a map since the space is so big!! I did some grocery shopping and had some lunch, then finally headed back to the hotel.

I spent the afternoon resting and trying to catch up on email I then had a another short city adbeture to poke around, then finally returned to dress for shabbat.

No comments: