Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ambassador Mordechay Levy, Ambassador of Israel to the Holy See

After hearing from Cardinal Kasper, Ambassador Levy addressed us. He told us this bizarre, detailed story of all that went in to Pope Benedict's recent visit to Israel. I was horribly confused by why he told us this and so I asked...

My question: What would be the take away from your speech explaining about the details of the pope's visit (because I simply do not understand why he would share with us such a tale).

I refuse to answer that question. It is up to you to use your intuition and thoughts to decide what parts of a story are important and unimportant.

How I feel. At first, shocked. But after a moment, I feel that perhaps my question called him out on something...like the irrelevancy of his comments or perhaps on the overly obfuscating nature of his words. Why would he share with us those embarrassments? All that went awry? The biggest message I took away from his remarks were that Israel was better than the Catholics because Israel (and the Jews and the Arabs) all accepted the changes within the schedule and were flexible in a way the Catholics were not. What I heard was, he took a moment to show the Catholics in the room (perhaps, primarily Father Hoffman who is the representative to the Papacy?) why would you show up somewhere and insult them? Perhaps he is right, perhaps I do not understand. And maybe I am too confused to be offended. I am ok with that. I think, given that this man who has just told us several stories about diplomacy and all his skills as a diplomat...given that this was an excessively undiplomatic responses...well, maybe instead of asking the wrong question, I just asked the right one....I feel that means something beyond he thinks I am a moron.

In asking around, some felt he told the story to share the challenges of what it takes to make a a Papal visit happen. But then I asked, what would he need or want us to know that for (and to whom exactly was he directing his comments? Someone specific in the room?) Others said he was sharing his view of how challenging it is to be diplomatic. My question was the same...why do we need to know that?

If anyone out there has a sense of what we should have been learning from this man (From whom I really wanted to learn! About whom I am incredibly curious. From whom I truly desire to hear his message....) please tell me...please!! I would really like to know


Below are my notes on what he said prior to this moment...



Reminds us of the history of the Papal visits and how important the Popes visit to Jerusalem, Yad Vashem and the Wall post Nostre Aetate

Pope Benedict had a long standing wish to go to Israel. In 2008, the visit was set in motion. The requests were submitted very discretely that no one knew. (I am not sure why he is telling us this...) Only a person with the post in the radio division of the papacy knew about it. He planned the whole event. He added a political dimension. The Jerusalem program wanted to ask for gestures which all could agree to. They agreed to an olive tree planting in Jerusalem
resopnse to visit: http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull&cid=1242029498309
The details were handled in a last minute way. He is telling us all the ins and outs of how it was arranged. This is why he did not address the minister because the speeches were already written.

What the Pope said at Tel Aviv on his exit
http://www.radiovaticana.org/en1/Articolo.asp?c=287756

Text with most of his speeches.
http://www.goisrael.com/Tourism_Eng/Tourist+Information/Christian+Themes/Pope+Benedict+XVI+visit+to+the+Holy+Land.htm

The Catholics were unhappy with the Pope's visit and what happened there. The vatican was happy with meeting their needs. Surrounding lands were happy with it too.

The Pope feels
Judaism stands within the Torah and is not separate from it. New Testament is a continuation.

This Pope's visit was a good model for future visits. Meaning of Batach-enriching the meaning of security and confidence. Commitment to the older brother, hoping it will make contact with the catholic brothers in the third world. Out of the strong comes weakness...(Judges)

No comments: