Monday, June 8, 2009

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies-yes we have no bananas (ok, we have those, but nothing else!)

Saturday: So, I got up Saturday morning expecting Larry to be late. And he was on time! I was surprised. He took me to town for some lunch and we drove around a while trying to figure it out. I wanted to go to the guest house for free internet. He wanted n mot to spend the money on gas. He wanted me to pay to go to an internet cafe. I had not expected to pay for internet since I was under the impression I would be staying at the guest house and TATS had decided to put me in a) a home that is b) incredibly far from everything that c) has no internet connections. He kept asking me how I wanted to change money and where I wanted to go to lumch and I kept explaining, I did not know what the choices were. We drove back and forth on one street a long time and he was frustrated to have to pay so much for gas. I kept telling him just to pull over until we figured it out...This did not go well. Dealing with Larry for me has been painful. I feel he asks me what I want to do and when I say I do not know what the choices are, he goes silent and says nothing. Does he understand my English? I am not sure....


Eventually we went to a spa-restaurant (bar) and internet cafe while it rained (I wrote on this previously...)


Later, we went to this shrine which is still actively used. It has the largest grass hut in all of Uganda (it's pretty big) and its very own eternal light which I thought was cool. The people sitting in the shrine (the big hut) are current members of the king's court. Even the guy with the clubbed foot (no shoes, first time I saw one of those up close...) Awesome!



The good thing was meeting Utaka, Chris and Mike (all here from Syracuse studying architecture) and Andrew (here from Jersey studying crimonology. It was reassuring to meet with other anglo people. We dropped off the boys at a hookah bar and Utaka and I went to change money and get some greens. IT was cool to be walking on the streets of Kampala amidst all the intense hustly/bustle. It felt good to be caring for myself. It felt good to be out of the van...We then came back to the guest house for dinner and gin and tonics. Life is better with a gin and tonic in hand....Then Larry drove me back to David's and we attempted to plan the next day. I gave up. Went in to David's and had a good talk with him and his incredibly gorgeous wife, Maragaret. They invited me to church the next day and I was SOOOO happy. I went to bed feeling great and I wished very much I could have told everyone that since people out there worry!!


No comments: