Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Looking at Africa from Rome...

Thoughts on Africa from Rome.
I am having a bit of culture shock coming back in to the places which I thought would be familiar. In Rome, mostly everyone is white. In contrast to Uganda and Rwanda, it is so striking to me. And I am not comforted by this. I think it is the discrepancy, the unbalance of color which is throwing me...And the link of color to privilege and affluence. Most of the people I have encountered in Rome are on vacation which means they have financial means to BE on vacation...and they are predominantly other white people.

I hate this about our world...

I am having a strange experience. I did not fit in Africa for being white. There, I always felt so conspicuous. But here, in Italy, I feel I do not fit because I notice we're all white and I do not like it. I am just like everyone around me and yet so different at the same time.

I do like the invisibility created by my outward appearance which is enhanced by the language barrier. Maybe I am just tired from all the travel, but I am way less invested in learning Italian than I was in picking up Lugandan and Kiniyerwandan and Amharic and Swahili...or it may simply be that I already know enough Italian to get by... Not sure....

The other piece of culture shock I am encountering is simply being around so many other people. Suddenly, there is company all the time. I am here at this conference and I have a roommate. There is an expectation I will talk with people during meals and not simply watch them. There is so much noise coming at me. After nearly a month with a great deal of solitude, this suddenly onslaught of togetherness is so much to take in. I am trying not to be standoffish and I think it is going fine. But I am overwhelmed by suddenly belonging to 55 other people from Argentina, Uraguay, Germany, Israel, Italy, America, Poland, Bulgaria, Syria, Canada, Switzerland, London, Hong Kong, Serbia, Vienna, and Odessa.

I do love being with this group of people from all over the world. There are so many new people to explore here and so much to learn. I look forward to this very much. We are a very racially homogenous group and only represent Judaism and Catholicism, BUT this is a brain child working on bringing younger voices to the interfaith table. So in that way, we are a real success!!

This should be an exciting week of learning, sharing, and connecting. Tonight we (us Jews) had a discussion on how to handle services. Always a fascinating conversation. This talked clearly raised the question which I think is present in all faith communities. At this moment, is your priority meeting your own needs or being a part of the community?

What do you think? Do you see that question playing itself out in some of your community politics? Curious if this experience is relevant elsewhere....

No comments: