Saturday, June 20, 2009

Shabbat Dinner in Rome

Leonore Rosenberg works for the Joint Distribution Committee. (JDC). I had emailed the JDC seeking assistance in finding a place for Shabbat and they had connected me with Leonore. She lives in the Testaverte neighborhood of Rome right near the little island. My walk over to her home was delightful and refreshed my failing spirits. I was going to someone's home and would be welcomed there as a guest, a stranger, and young woman without a home.

I was not disappointed! Leonore ushered me in to her apartment several floors above the bustling neighborhood below. Since she is shomer Shabbas, (she does not use electricty or do other forms of work on Shabbat) she could not buzz me in to her aparment. Instead she had to climb down and then back up) the 3-5 flights of stairs to let me in. She did so happily and I was welcomed by her, the warmth of her space and her two beautiful black cats. The smell of Shabbt filled the room and we sat down to bless the meal and then to heartily dine.

Leonore was a delight. I truly enjoyed my dinner with her (and her cooking too!!) I left a few hours later exhausted, full and happy! My faith in Jews was renewed, I enjoyed my ambling walk home through the crowded cobble-stone streets of her charming, quaint, hip and cool neighborhood (think East Village meets ruins).

Thank you Leonore, thank you.

No comments: