Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Double Your Money Instantly-Guaranteed!

So this is really frightening, but I learned today that now that an arrest warrant has been issued against Bashir in Darfur, his response has been to kick out 60% of the aid workers in the country. This means that 1.1 million people have no access to food, 1.5 million people are losing access to medical supplies and 5 million people will lose access to water in he next 4-6 weeks

...I just think about what that would be like and I don't know what to do about it... Sometimes we ask, why bother when it seems so big. I think the answer is, what's the alternative? Giving up just isn't an option...

I was at an American Jewish World Service Meeting when this came up which is a relief because I learned several things to be done and both are real simple but need immediate action.

The first is (and I know, given the magnitude of what is happening, this seems so small, but all the small adds up to be BIG) sign this post card urging President Obama to stick to his word and make a strong statement against the events in Darfur within his first 100 days. The goal is 1 million post cards. Imagine 1 million people saying DO SOMETHING AND DO IT NOW-what that will do...

The second, my group of people with whom I went to Mexico to work on changing the world is raising money to create a $10,000 grant for AJWS to fund projects which can help ameliorate some of the global troubles. The great thing is, if we (in conjunction with others) can bring in $50,000 of donations before Passover, someone will match it (hence the guaranteed money doubling).

Here is where I really need your help. Each of us has pledged to donate $60 from our own funds and to generate $450 from our communities. If all 19 of us succeed at this goal, we will raise just under $10,000 which will become $20,000.

I am asking you for $10 to help me get there. If 45 of my people donate $10 to this cause, $450 is easy to attain...$10,000 is easy to achieve and it quickly turn in to $20,000 which becomes 2-3 projects and programs and organizations created, driven and run by the people who are there (hence training them to be self sufficient and sustain...you know-teaching people how to "fish"). Bashir can't kick them out in the same way he can kick us out! This sort of systemic change will help save the lives of people around the world. Suddenly $10 seems to get much more than 2 lattes...

So far, in one ask, people have already given me $367.00 (as of 3/17/09). And thank you to everyone who has so far given, your generosity has moved me and touches me deeply. If you too want to double your money in an instant like 36.7 other friends, family, colleagues and congregants have done, click here

No comments: